Walls – Decoupled
*Please Note: PhoneStar was previously branded as Phonewell
This Decoupled Solution is a very popular option for soundproofing solid walls as it provides a high performance with very little loss of space and will meet Building Regulations. Where space permits consider the deeper decoupled and battened wall solution for even higher noise reduction through party walls.
43.5mm – 46mm
Most popular solution with a high performance and minimal loss of space for reasonably flat walls.
CONSTRUCTION – REASONABLY FLAT BRICK or BLOCK WALL
- Wall with or without existing plaster or plasterboard
- 16mm standard Resilient Bars (optional 20mm mineral wool infill)
- 15mm PhoneStar Acoustic Insulation
- 12.5mm or 15mm sound resistant plasterboard
- (Optional second layer of plasterboard)
Materials List: (available from our stockists)
- Resilient bars (3M x 75mm x 16mm deep)
- 6mm diameter hammer fixings to secure resilient bars to masonry wall
- PhoneStar Acoustic Insulation (1200mm x 800mm x 15mm)
- PhoneStar Eco-Tape (50mm x 50m)
- Drywall screws (25mm length)
- Sound resistant plasterboard (2400mm x 1200mm x 12.5 or 15mm)
- Drywall screws (38mm length) OR if bonding plasterboard to PhoneStar use adhesive foam and foam gun (approx. coverage per can is 15m²)
- Flexible mastic or Acoustic sealant
Please download the full installation instructions for soundproofing solid walls before commencing work:
Brief Instructions: (have you considered Flanking Noise?)
1. Make existing wall sound by removing any loose material.
2. Secure the Resilient Bars horizontally at 600mm centres with hammer fixings so that the pre-drilled screw holes are at the bottom of the bar. Be careful not to kink or obstruct the flexibility of the bars. Ensure bar ends do not touch the adjacent walls – leave a 5mm gap. Note: the first and last bars should be approximately 50mm clear of the floor and ceiling.
3. Optionally insert 20mm mineral wool between bars, but be careful not to restrict flexibility of bars.
4. Screw PhoneStar into resilient bars with 25mm drywall screws, being careful to leave screw heads just below the board surface. Do not leave any gaps between or around the PhoneStar layer. See Cutting and Taping PhoneStar.
5. Screw plasterboard through PhoneStar into resilient bars with 38mm drywall screws (or bond with adhesive foam), being careful to stagger joints and leave a 5mm perimeter gap around the plasterboard at the floor, walls and ceiling. Optionally add a second layer of plasterboard.
6. Seal 5mm perimeter gaps with flexible mastic or acoustic sealant.
7. Tape and seal all plasterboard joints and fill screw heads.
8. Fit skirting boards ensuring no contact with the floor – leave a 2mm gap.