Walls – Decoupled &
*Please Note: PhoneStar was previously branded as Phonewell
Surpasses Building Regulations and offers the highest performance for soundproofing masonry walls while still being a relatively slim system.
DECOUPLED & BATTENED MASONRY WALL SOLUTION
67.5mm to 94mm
Ultimate performance and very effective for reducing noise from noisy neighbours without taking up too much living space.
CONSTRUCTION – BRICK or BLOCK WALL
- Wall with or without existing plaster or plasterboard
- 24mm x 48mm stud or 48mm x 48mm stud
- 25mm or 50mm deep x 45kg/m³ mineral wool to suit stud
- 16mm Standard Resilient Bars
- 15mm PhoneStar Acoustic Insulation
- 12.5mm or 15mm sound resistant plasterboard
- (Optional second layer of plasterboard)
Materials List: (available from our stockists)
- 24mm x 48mm or 48mm x 48mm timber studs
- 6mm diameter hammer fixings to secure studs to wall
- 25mm or 50mm x 600mm x 45kg/m³ mineral wool to suit stud
- Resilient bars (3M x 75mm x 16mm deep)
- Screw fixings to secure resilient bars to timber studs
- PhoneStar Acoustic Insulation (1200mm x 800mm x 15mm)
- PhoneStar Eco-tape (50mm x 50M)
- Drywall screws (25mm length)
- Sound resistant plasterboard (2400mm x 1200mm x 12.5 or 15mm)
- Drywall screws (38-42mm length) OR if bonding plasterboard to PhoneStar use adhesive foam and foam gun (approx. coverage per can is 15m²)
- Flexible mastic or Acoustic sealant
Please download the full installation instructions for soundproofing masonry walls before commencing work:
Brief Instructions: (have you considered Flanking Noise?)
1. Make existing wall sound by removing any loose material.
2. Secure stud battens vertically to wall with hammer fixings ensuring 400mm or 600mm centres for width of wool to be a push fit.
3. Insert dense wool between stud battens to fill cavity void.
4. Secure the Resilient Bars horizontally to studs at 600mm centres so that the pre-drilled screw holes are at the bottom of the bar. Ensure bar ends do not touch the adjacent walls – leave a 5mm gap. Note: the first and last bars should be approximately 50mm clear of the floor and ceiling.
5. Screw PhoneStar into resilient bars with 25mm drywall screws, being careful to leave screw head just below the board surface. Do not leave any gaps between or around the PhoneStar layer. See Cutting and Taping PhoneStar.
6. Screw plasterboard through PhoneStar into resilient bars with 38mm drywall screws (or bond with adhesive foam), being careful to stagger joints and leave a 5mm perimeter gap around the plasterboard at the floor, walls and ceiling. Optionally add a second layer of plasterboard.
7. Seal 5mm perimeter gaps with flexible mastic or acoustic sealant.
8. Tape and seal all plasterboard joints and fill screw heads.
9. Fit skirting boards ensuring no contact with the floor – leave a 2mm gap.