Soundproofing Timber Floorboards
from Above Only
*Please Note: PhoneStar was previously branded as Phonewell
Soundproofing timber floorboards with PhoneStar acoustic insulation is a very easy task and it gives very good results at reducing both airborne sound and impact sound through timber joist floors, while only losing 15mm room height. This system is very popular for reducing noise coming up from the flat or apartment below as well as reducing noise within one’s own home. This option is used when there is only access to the timber floorboards above and not to the joist cavity. For other options please see Soundproofing Floors.
15mm FLOATING LAYER on TIMBER FLOOR
Popular for Remedial and Refurbishment projects. Choose where there is only access to the floor above and no access to the cavity or ceiling below e.g. in apartment dwellings.
CONSTRUCTION from TOP DOWN – TIMBER JOIST FLOOR
- Top-deck or finished floor surface
- 15mm PhoneStar Acoustic Insulation
- Optional: 3mm hardboard on floorboards
- Existing timber floorboards
- Timber joists (unknown cavity)
- Existing plasterboard or lath and plaster ceiling below
Materials List: (available from our stockists)
- PhoneStar Acoustic Insulation on Floor (1200mm x 800mm x 15mm)
- PhoneStar Eco-tape (50mm x 50M)
- Optional: 3mm hardboard and tacks, to make floor level and sealed
- Flexible mastic or Acoustic sealant
Please download the full installation instructions for Soundproofing Timber Floors before commencing work:
Brief Instructions: (have you considered Flanking Noise?)
1. Examine the timber floorboards and fill any holes or gaps with flexible mastic or acoustic sealant – tradesmen will often tack down 3mm hardboard sheets to level and seal. Also seal around the perimeter walls.
2. Ensure the floor surface is clean and even.
3. Begin in one corner and lay the PhoneStar boards on the sub-deck, butted tightly up to the perimeter walls. Do not screw or nail the boards down.
4. Butt each PhoneStar board up tightly to each other and do not leave any gaps between or around the PhoneStar layer. Lay in a brickwork formation if possible. See Cutting and Taping PhoneStar.
5. Install the finished floor surface as per Fitting Floor Finishes over PhoneStar.
6. Fit skirting boards ensuring no contact with the floor – leave a 2mm gap.
7. Consider treating any identified flanking walls with PhoneStar.