Soundproofing Stud Walls –
*Please Note: PhoneStar was previously branded as Phonewell
This Decoupled Stud Wall Solution offers the highest performance for soundproofing timber stud walls and surpasses Building Regulations while still being a relatively slim system. Where space is very limited consider the Direct to Wall Solution.
DECOUPLED TIMBER or METAL STUD WALL SOLUTION
43.5mm – 46mm
Highest performance for timber or metal stud walls with minimal loss of living space.
- Stud Partition Wall, ideally remove existing plasterboard on one side
- Optionally fit 45kg/m³ mineral wool to suit stud void – recommended
- 16mm standard Resilient Bars (optional 20mm mineral wool infill if mineral wool is not fitted in the wall cavity)
- 15mm PhoneStar Acoustic Insulation
- 12.5mm or 15mm Sound Resistant Plasterboard
- (Optional second layer of plasterboard for improved fire and acoustic rating)
Materials List: (available from our stockists)
- If existing plasterboard has been removed, fill cavity with 45kg/m³ mineral wool
- Resilient bars (3M x 75mm x 16mm deep)
- Drywall screws to secure resilient bars to studs
- PhoneStar Acoustic Insulation (1200mm x 800mm x 15mm)
- PhoneStar Eco-tape (50mm x 50M)
- Drywall screws (25mm length) to secure PhoneStar to resilient bars
- Sound resistant plasterboard (2400mm x 1200mm x 12.5 or 15mm)
- Drywall screws (38mm length) OR if bonding plasterboard to PhoneStar use adhesive foam and foam gun (approx. coverage per can is 15m²)
- Flexible mastic or Acoustic sealant
Please download the full installation instructions for soundproofing stud walls before commencing work:
Brief Instructions: (have you considered Flanking Noise?)
1. If existing plasterboard is removed, fill the cavity with 45kg/m³ mineral wool.
2. Secure the Resilient Bars horizontally to studs at 600mm centres so that the pre-drilled screw holes are at the bottom of the bar. Ensure bar ends do not touch the adjacent walls – leave a 5mm gap. Note: the first and last bars should be approximately 50mm clear of the floor and ceiling.
3. Optionally insert 20mm mineral wool between bars being careful not to restrict the flexibility of the bars. This is not necessary if stud cavity is filled.
4. Screw PhoneStar into resilient bars with 25mm drywall screws, being careful to leave screw head just below the board surface. Do not leave any gaps between or around the PhoneStar layer. See Cutting and Taping PhoneStar.
5. Screw plasterboard into resilient bars with 38mm drywall screws (or bond with adhesive foam), being careful to stagger joints and leave a 5mm perimeter gap around the plasterboard at the floor, walls and ceiling. Optionally add a second layer of plasterboard.
6. Seal 5mm perimeter gaps with flexible mastic or acoustic sealant.
7. Tape and seal all plasterboard joints and fill screw heads.
8. Fit skirting boards ensuring no contact with the floor – leave a 2mm gap.